Skip to main content

Starting Android development on my phone

I have been creating blog posts from my phone and doing a little coding.  I have been wondering, though, if I could do android app development work on my phone.  I want to do this for the same reasons that I post to this blog from my phone.  With young kids and other responsibilities I don't have much time to sit in front of a computer.

So using what I had learned from blogging and other activities on my phone I decided to give it a try.



First I needed to learn how to build my apps from the command line.  I have done all my previous Android development using Eclipse.  The machine I am working on is running Ubuntu.  I did some reading and found out it was pretty easy.

First off, in the project folder I needed to be able to run the android command to setup the project.  To do that I had to add the android sdk directory to my path.  After doing that I got an error about tools.jar missing.  After some Googling and trying different things I ended up installing openjdk 7.  This resolved the issue.  Then I also needed to install ant.  I had no issues with that.

After that setup I ran the android command in the project folder passing some arguments specifying a target and some other things.  I already had some emulators setup from my previous development work, so I was able to use one of those as the target.

Then all I had to do was run 'ant clean' and then 'ant debug' and it created an apk for me.

Now I needed to be able to do that from my phone.  I setup ssh on the Ubuntu machine and I was able to connect from my phone using the ssh client app that I use.  The one I use now is just called SSH Client.

Then I setup the project as a github repository.  Using an app called SGit I am able to check out the repository on my phone and make changes to the code using an app called Quoda.  Then I commit and push the changes.  Then I ssh to the Ubuntu machine, run 'git pull', 'ant debug', and a new apk is generated.  The folder where it is generated is in my Dropbox folder, so then from my phone I can download it in the Dropbox app.

There are a lot of apps involved there and it takes a long time to get anything done.  This works okay, but I would like to cut out some of this process and maybe automate some things.  I will blog again after I look into some ways of automatically building the apk etc.



This post has been mostly written for a while, but I forgot to publish.  I am almost finished with a followup post.  I may publish that today as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Hidden App Data From Your Google Drive

Some Android applications use space on your Google Drive to store data.  You can't see this data by browsing drive the normal way.  You can get access to it if you get the access token from the app and do a few other things.

I use an app to keep some notes and other things.  They require getting the paid version of the app to backup your data.  I wanted to see if I could get it myself without paying for the app.  I found out how to do this from this Stackoverflow post http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22832104/see-hidden-app-data-in-google-drive.  The example there uses php. Since I have been learning Python recently, I decided to see if I could do the same thing with Python.

 There is a pretty good explanation of why you need to go through all the steps you need to go through to get your data in the accepted answer for that post, so I won't go into too much detail about that here.


Using The Coldfusion XMLValidate Function To Validate User Content

Sometimes you want to allow a limited set of HTML tags in user generated content.  This can be done with the XMLValidate function in Coldfusion as long as the content is valid XHTML.

Several years ago I read an article about escaping form values posted by Ben Nadel on his site www.bennadel.com. Some discussion came up in the comments about allowing a limited set of html tags for paragraphs, bold text, and so on.  I had a need to do this for forum comments on a site that I was working on. This site was written in Coldfusion so I was looking at some of the same options mentioned in Ben's article. I ended up doing something a little different though.

We were using TinyMCE for the forum comments. TinyMCE produces XHTML code so I was able to use Coldfusion's abilities to handle XML to accomplish this task. Using the XMLValidate function and an XML schema that was modified to accept a small list of tags and attributes the comments were correctly limited. Here is the relevant po…

Using IR codes from Broadlink backup file

This is a continuation of yesterdays post about the Broadlink RM2 wifi remote.  I was able to test out using the codes to control my remote today.  They are stored in JSON format in the broadlink backup file.  The backup file is a zip file.  After you extract it there is a folder named SharedData.  There are several files in the folder.  The one that seems to have all the codes is named jsonIrCode.  The data looks like an array of objects, each with a code and some other information.