Skip to main content

Creating posts from my phone part 3

In the last two posts I went over first why and then, in general, how I am writing posts using my phone.  In this article I will get into some more specifics about the setup of my dev machine and some apps that I am using.

Most of the time I'm at home so I can access my local dev machine on my home network.  This allows me to make an ssh connection and get to a command prompt.  My dev machine is a MacBook Pro.  Getting that far opens up a lot of possibilities.



I have a site setup on my dev machine where I write and test code for the posts and lots of other scratch code.  This site is committed to Github.  This got me thinking about whether I could edit code on my phone.  I found an app called SGit that allows you to checkout and commit to your github repositories.



  It also has a built in editor but there was something about it that  I didn't like.  I can't remember what the problem was right now.  I found an app called Quoda that seems like a nice editor so far.  It has some features that are only in the pay version, that would be nice to have, but I haven't bought it yet.



With all this setup I am now able to checkout and update my code with SGit, edit it with Quoda then re-commit it.  Using an app called SSH Client I can connect to my dev machine using ssh.  I also tried ConnectBot, but it didn't seem to be able to keep multiple connections active.  Then I can run 'git pull' to update the local site and then run the new code in the browser on my phone.



I am also sometimes using a free service called ngrok that allows temporarily pointing a domain to your local machine behind your router or whatever you have.  I can start and stop this from the command prompt.  This allows me to access my local site on a domain name instead of the IP address.  I have multiple sites setup using Apache and virtual hosts.  You can specify the subdomain that you want so you can have it already setup in your virtual hosts file.  This would also allow me to access my local site remotely without having anyrhing more than ssh open through my router.  I have only done this from home so far.

With all this I can pretty much do everything I need to do to get these posts done.  Some of this process is pretty slow.  I'm thinking I may be able to setup something to automatically update the code on my dev machine on a schedule or something.  There may be some other ways to speed up the process.  I will post again if I significantly change my process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Hidden App Data From Your Google Drive

Some Android applications use space on your Google Drive to store data.  You can't see this data by browsing drive the normal way.  You can get access to it if you get the access token from the app and do a few other things.

I use an app to keep some notes and other things.  They require getting the paid version of the app to backup your data.  I wanted to see if I could get it myself without paying for the app.  I found out how to do this from this Stackoverflow post http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22832104/see-hidden-app-data-in-google-drive.  The example there uses php. Since I have been learning Python recently, I decided to see if I could do the same thing with Python.

 There is a pretty good explanation of why you need to go through all the steps you need to go through to get your data in the accepted answer for that post, so I won't go into too much detail about that here.


Using The Coldfusion XMLValidate Function To Validate User Content

Sometimes you want to allow a limited set of HTML tags in user generated content.  This can be done with the XMLValidate function in Coldfusion as long as the content is valid XHTML.

Several years ago I read an article about escaping form values posted by Ben Nadel on his site www.bennadel.com. Some discussion came up in the comments about allowing a limited set of html tags for paragraphs, bold text, and so on.  I had a need to do this for forum comments on a site that I was working on. This site was written in Coldfusion so I was looking at some of the same options mentioned in Ben's article. I ended up doing something a little different though.

We were using TinyMCE for the forum comments. TinyMCE produces XHTML code so I was able to use Coldfusion's abilities to handle XML to accomplish this task. Using the XMLValidate function and an XML schema that was modified to accept a small list of tags and attributes the comments were correctly limited. Here is the relevant po…

Using IR codes from Broadlink backup file

This is a continuation of yesterdays post about the Broadlink RM2 wifi remote.  I was able to test out using the codes to control my remote today.  They are stored in JSON format in the broadlink backup file.  The backup file is a zip file.  After you extract it there is a folder named SharedData.  There are several files in the folder.  The one that seems to have all the codes is named jsonIrCode.  The data looks like an array of objects, each with a code and some other information.