Skip to main content

Serializing a colfusion query with ObjectSave

There has been a lot of talk on the subject of serializing queries using JSON.  This has come up around the times of the last couple of major version releases.  Query serialization has all the problems that serializing other data types have;  leading zeros being lost, string and numeric data type mixups, no case preservation, and several other problems that I can't recall right now.  The representation of the columns and the data has also been discussed and debated repeatedly.  An option to change this formatting has been added to try to satisfy everyone.

Solutions and work-arounds for most of these problems have been worked out  by the community.  Ben Nadel created his JSONSerializer.cfc.  Coldfusion 11 also added a system for supplying a custom serializer, although I haven't had a chance to try that yet so I don't know if you can avoid all the problems lined out above.

These issues are all very important when using serialized data in javascript or building web services.  There is also another issue that comes up when serializing a query and deserializing it back into cf.  The data types of the columns are lost.  This can be important, as Adam Cameron showed, when trying to do a query of queries on the deserialized query.

Alright that's enough about that, now for the main point of the article.  If you are passing data between cf systems, or caching data to be used later on the same system you can use objectsave and objectload.

The code below shows creating a query with varchar and integer columns.  Then I save and load the query and show that the data and column types remain intact.

The results of running the code are shown below.  First you see the metadata and data for the original query.  Then the same thing for the saved and loaded query.  Then I show the results of running a query of queries on the loaded query.  This returns expected results and does not error when comparing the null value.

This aproach doesn't always work, but when going from cf to cf it avoids all the problems that JSON serialization has.


Popular posts from this blog

Getting Hidden App Data From Your Google Drive

Some Android applications use space on your Google Drive to store data.  You can't see this data by browsing drive the normal way.  You can get access to it if you get the access token from the app and do a few other things.

I use an app to keep some notes and other things.  They require getting the paid version of the app to backup your data.  I wanted to see if I could get it myself without paying for the app.  I found out how to do this from this Stackoverflow post  The example there uses php. Since I have been learning Python recently, I decided to see if I could do the same thing with Python.

 There is a pretty good explanation of why you need to go through all the steps you need to go through to get your data in the accepted answer for that post, so I won't go into too much detail about that here.

Using Brave

For a few weeks now I have been using the Brave browser.  It is based on Chromium, so switching from Chrome was a quick adjustment since I have been using Chrome for years.  Brave includes an ad blocking system that blocks what they call "very intrusive ads" and most attempts to track users across sites.  They have also setup a system using BAT currency that allows you to directly pay content providers that you visit.  I have also setup my site as a content provider so I can receive tokens.


The browser was created by Brendan Eich, the creator of Javascript.  The browser has worked well so far.  It updates automatically similarly to the way Chrome does.  They have a system for syncing bookmarks between your devices.  You also have a wallet built in for your BAT tokens.  I am using it on a Mac, and my Android phone.


The creators of the browser have also setup an ad network.  There are several ad providers involved, but I haven't looked into this too much yet.  Th…

Using IR codes from Broadlink backup file

This is a continuation of yesterdays post about the Broadlink RM2 wifi remote.  I was able to test out using the codes to control my remote today.  They are stored in JSON format in the broadlink backup file.  The backup file is a zip file.  After you extract it there is a folder named SharedData.  There are several files in the folder.  The one that seems to have all the codes is named jsonIrCode.  The data looks like an array of objects, each with a code and some other information.