Skip to main content

How I finally started writing unit tests

I'd like to talk about why it seemed so hard to get started and how I finally got past it.

I've done a lot of reading and video watching on the subject of unit testing over the last 2 years or so.  Mostly what I was getting out of it at first was, "You should be writing unit tests for all of your code.  If you aren't doing it you are a poor developer and a horrible person."  I didn't want to be either of those things so I thought I should probably start right away.

I tried several times to start, but I kept running into road blocks.  I knew from what I had watched and read that I should be able to break my code into small functions and test everything independently.  I should be able to run all my tests without actually interacting with the database or sending emails or talking to external services.  The more I looked around at my code though, the more it seemed like that was all the code did.  How could I test anything if all I was doing was interacting with external systems?

Eventually I decided to just start anyway even though it wouldn't be perfect and I would be doing actual database activity in my tests.  I couldn't see any way around it at the time, so that is where I started.  The first tests that I wrote were for a cfc that we use to access the database.  It is a general purpose object that we extend for each table in the database.  It is used all over our system though so it seemed like important code to have unit tests for.  It turned out to be a good place to start.  Because it is responsible for most of the database activity in our newer code I have been able to use that fact to remove almost all the database interaction from my tests.  I'll get into more detail about that in the next article.

I am still getting started.  I only have a couple hundred tests so far for our whole system.  I really like having them though.  Even having those few tests has allowed me to make changes to the code that I never would have made if I didn't have the tests.  It has also allowed me to make the changes necessary to remove most of the database interaction from my tests.

I'm going to stop here for now.  In the next unit testing post I will show some code and get into some more detail about how I have made changes to make unit testing easier and remove most of the external interaction that happens while testing.


Popular posts from this blog

Getting Hidden App Data From Your Google Drive

Some Android applications use space on your Google Drive to store data.  You can't see this data by browsing drive the normal way.  You can get access to it if you get the access token from the app and do a few other things.

I use an app to keep some notes and other things.  They require getting the paid version of the app to backup your data.  I wanted to see if I could get it myself without paying for the app.  I found out how to do this from this Stackoverflow post  The example there uses php. Since I have been learning Python recently, I decided to see if I could do the same thing with Python.

 There is a pretty good explanation of why you need to go through all the steps you need to go through to get your data in the accepted answer for that post, so I won't go into too much detail about that here.

Using The Coldfusion XMLValidate Function To Validate User Content

Sometimes you want to allow a limited set of HTML tags in user generated content.  This can be done with the XMLValidate function in Coldfusion as long as the content is valid XHTML.

Several years ago I read an article about escaping form values posted by Ben Nadel on his site Some discussion came up in the comments about allowing a limited set of html tags for paragraphs, bold text, and so on.  I had a need to do this for forum comments on a site that I was working on. This site was written in Coldfusion so I was looking at some of the same options mentioned in Ben's article. I ended up doing something a little different though.

We were using TinyMCE for the forum comments. TinyMCE produces XHTML code so I was able to use Coldfusion's abilities to handle XML to accomplish this task. Using the XMLValidate function and an XML schema that was modified to accept a small list of tags and attributes the comments were correctly limited. Here is the relevant po…

Using IR codes from Broadlink backup file

This is a continuation of yesterdays post about the Broadlink RM2 wifi remote.  I was able to test out using the codes to control my remote today.  They are stored in JSON format in the broadlink backup file.  The backup file is a zip file.  After you extract it there is a folder named SharedData.  There are several files in the folder.  The one that seems to have all the codes is named jsonIrCode.  The data looks like an array of objects, each with a code and some other information.